BECOMING A BAIL BONDSMAN/RECOVERY AGENT
STEP ONE: MEET REQUIREMENTS
NC MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- You must be a resident of the state of North Carolina for at least six consecutive months before making application for a bail bondsman and/or bail bond runner license.
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
- Have obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Have knowledge, training, or experience of sufficient duration and extent to provide the competence necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a licensee.
- Have no outstanding bail bond obligations
- Have no current or prior violations of Article 71 of Chapter 58 of the North Carolina General Statutes or of Article 26 of Chapter 15A of the North Carolina General Statutes.
- Not have been in any manner disqualified under North Carolina law or any other state to engage in the bail bond business.
- Hold a valid and current North Carolina driver’s license or valid North Carolina identification card issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Prohibited persons from obtaining a Bail Bonds License:
- Sheriff, deputy sheriff, other law enforcement officer, judicial official, attorney, parole officer, probation officer, jailer, assistance jailer, employee of the General Court of Justice, nor any other public employee assigned to duties relating to the administration of the criminal justice, nor the spouse of any such person.
- A person who is or has ever been convicted of a felony.
- A person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor drug violation within the previous 24 months.
STEP TWO: TAKE A PRELICENSING CLASS (PLE)
(Offered by the North Carolina Bail Agents Association) https://ncbaa.com/Prelicensing/Prelicensing-Registration
A two-day class that includes a classroom test
STEP THREE: SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION
Complete/upload all required documentation and pay licensing application fees (Discuss with Supervising Agent)
$231 – Runner License (works for a Professional Bondsman)
$311 – Surety Bondsman License
State Bail Bond License Exam: $40
STEP FOUR: TAKE EXAM
Once your application has been approved by the NC DOI (Department of Insurance), schedule and take your exam at Pearson Vue Testing Facility
STEP FIVE: RECEIVE YOUR BAIL BONDING LICENSE
Once you pass your exam and have been approved by the NC DOI, you will receive your Bail Bonding License in the mail within 10-12 business days
JOINING OUR TEAM!
Interested candidates who are not already licensed should first complete the PLE.
Possess one of the following:
- College Degree
- Military Experience (Honorably Discharged)
- Law Enforcement Experience
In addition, have verifiable integrity, aptitude, a positive attitude, and the ability to work successfully in a team environment.
Agents are considered contractors and not employees
Income is recorded on a 1099 Form